Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Can I Have a Napkin, Please?

Okay, two prefatory remarks about this video post.

(1) I am a closeted super-huge-fan of musical theater. If I could go back and re-do all the important moments of my life-- good or bad-- I would re-do them in song. I often wish the world happened just the way it does in musical theater. I don't think it's corny and I don't think it's stupid. The truth is, I probably secretly keep a running "soundtrack" to my life all of the time. This is how important music is to me.

(2) I've got about three-too-many irons in the fire right now, which means that I'm busy and I'm in a fire. So, that's why this blog has wanted for posts in the last week or so. I'll get back to it as soon as possible, but in the meantime I wanted to say that this video has made me happier than I've been in quite a while.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Ideas Man, Ph.D. said...

1) First of all, there is no shame in being a fan of musical theater.

2) One fan to another --- this was so wicked awesome, the only sad thing is that I was a little jealous that I wasn't actually at the mall...

Brooke said...

I *LOVE* it!!!

emma b. said...

Wasn't that kind of the theme of Dancer in the Dark... that there is something transcendent in the narrativity of the musical number as such...

or something like that?

Rock on in the fire.

DOCTOR J said...

Emma, that's actually a very good point. I hadn't thought of Dancer in the Dark in exactly that way, but it seems spot-on to me. Bravo.

Funny (sort of) story: When Dancer in the Dark was on in the theaters, my best friend and I went to the movies one Saturday afternoon. We went to one of those small art-house theaters in town, where there were only 4 film showing. Two of them were things we had already seen or weren't interested in, and the other two were Dancer in the Dark and Requiem for a Dream. My friend turns to me and says: "I heard that Dancer in the Dark is really depressing. Let's go see the other one."

You can probably fill in the rest of the story yourself...

emma b. said...

Gawd... no redemptive show tunes for you that afternoon! Not even the one!

That's just a straight down the toilet for everyone story, pronto.

*chuckling darkly*